• Zielgruppen
  • Suche


Is my home university qualified as a partner of the LUH?

Our US partner universities are:

  • Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
  • Michigan State University, East lansing, Michigan
  • University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska
  • Michigan Technological University, Houghton, Michigan
  • LeTourneau University, Longview, Texas
  • Concordia College, Moorhead, Minnesota
  • University of California/Berkeley, Berkeley, California
  • University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee
  • Washington State University, Pullman, Washington

What do program fees cover?

As a public German university the Leibniz Universität Hannover is not allowed to make any profits. Program fees of 2.500 € cover all expenses which are necessary to offer and run this program:

  • Accommodation - 700 €
  • Insurances - 450 €
  • Enrollment & program costs - 450 €
  • Personnel costs - 900 €

How do I find a suitable institute or research area?

All institutes list their actual research fields at their respective homepages. Please follow the provided links. For example, if you're a mechanical engineering student interested in combustion engines click on 'Faculty of Mechanical Engineering'. A new page appears showing all Mechanical Engineering institutes at LUH. Please follow the link for 'Institute For Technical Combustion' and check out their research fields.

Some of the institutes' pages are in German language only. How to deal with that?

If you may find a German only homepage you can download an add-on that translates homepages automatically (f.e. google translator). Furthermore, you can also copy&paste all German text into google translator without installing any add-ons (search for "google translate" in google bar). For further assistance please contact us!

How does matching work?

After handing in your complete application form it will be forwarded to your designated institutes, beginning with nr. 1 on your list. If nr. 1 declines, nr. 2 will receive your papers...we will contact you immediately after your application was accepted and program fees become due.

Which academic requirements do I have to meet to get accepted at my desired research work?

We accept applications from students at least in their fifth semester only (junior year). However, professors expect certain knowledge of their subjects. You may need at least one course that fits the institutes' agenda. For example, institutes researching on the field of automatic control engineering want you to have at least one automatic control course passed at your home university. In this program, the professors who provide placements do the final selection of the candidate, since they have the knowledge whether it is a suitable candidate or not. Anyway, if your completed classes meet the institute's expectations in a roughly manner, everything should be fine.

What is MoveOn and how do I register?

MoveOn is a databank containing all incoming/outgoing student movements for statistical & informative reasons. The only few information we need is your first & second name, your birthday, your address, your e-mail address and, finally, your home university. You don't have to print out anything, an online registration is absolutely sufficient. Please use the following link:

What should a letter of motivation contain and how long should it be?

A letter of motivation is always addressed to persons in charge of the decision either to accept your application or not. It should contain, in your own words, why you want to participate in this program, why you want to go to Germany, and what your goals are by participating the program (1/2 - 1 pages). Secondly, you should write some sentences about your motivation for a distinct research field at your chosen institutes (1/4 pages per choice). The person reading your letter should be able to figure out if you've spend some thoughts on what you're going to deal with during your stay and if you have any previous knowledge about the research topic or lab work.

What are letters of reference and how do I acquire them?

Letters of reference are written, stamped and signed by your educational supervisors, usually from university (professors) or from companies you've been working in during your summer holidays (superior authorities). It contains information about your working habits (hard & soft skills) like

  • relationship to other students/employees
  • learning abilities
  • problem solving
  • self-reliance
  • sense of responsibility

Please provide at least one letter of recommendation from a professor at your university.

Can I approve US credit hours for this program?

For participating the program you'll receive 12 ECTS points (European Credit Transfer System), which is commonly equal to 6 US credit hours. Admission of US credit hours will be approved by your home university's study advisor, dependent on a similar course at your home university.

How do grades convert from the German grading system to my universities' standard grading system?

USA (GPA)4(3,5)3(2,5)2(1,5)

How high are common living expenses in Germany?

Food is relatively cheap, if you try to shop in supermarkets regularly, usually around 200 to 300 € per month should be sufficient. Additionally, you might need some money for travelling and other private activities.

I am wondering how the accommodation will look like. Can you help?

You will be accommodated mostly in single bed rooms. You can have a closer look at a common room at the Studentenwerk Hannover by visiting their homepage:

I am strongly interested in taking German language classes during my stay. What can I do?

Depending on your skill level we recommend taking classes. If you're explicitly interested in German conversations (for advanced levels only), a tandem partnership would suit you best. We will assist and help you to find the best option possible.

On the other hand, you may try a free of charge online German course:

How many days and hours am I supposed to work and how to deal with days absent?

Typically, you're supposed to work at the institute every day from Monday to Friday. A regular working day starts between 8am to 9am and ends around 5pm to 6pm. Your working time always includes one hour of lunchtime per day.

We've met a special regulation with your institutes to allow you three days off during your stay for extending your weekends for travel. It is always necessary to let your advisors know about your plans a few days in advance.

If you get ill it is always necessary to inform your institute, or your advisor directly, about your absence.

I have food allergies. How can I know what I can eat?

If allergens are contained in the food provided by our student canteens they are listed directly at the distinct dish: http://www.studentenwerk-hannover.de/essen/speiseplaene/hauptmensa/

You can also download an app which can filter out all offered dishes that contain specific allergens in our student canteens.

Furthermore, all supermarkets are obliged to sell only products whose allergic contents must be listed on the package.